- Funds registered for sale in the respective country as of the end of the calendar year of the respective evaluation year.
- At least 36 months of performance history as of the end of the calendar year of the respective evaluation year.
- Lipper® Global Classifications with at least 10 distinct portfolios based on the primary share class definition, excluding residual classifications; institutional and other non-retail funds; private, closed-end, exchange-traded, insurance and linked funds.
- Asset classes: equity, bond, mixed-asset, commodity and alternatives. Absolute Return funds screen over all asset types except real estate.
Fund Classification Awards
The currency for the calculation corresponds to the currency of the country for which the awards are calculated and relies on monthly data. Classification averages are calculated with all eligible share classes for each eligible classification. The calculation periods extend over 36, 60 and 120 months. The highest Lipper Leader® for Consistent Return (Effective Return) value within each eligible classification determines the fund classification winner over three, five or 10 years. For a detailed explanation, please review the Lipper Leader methodology document.
Asset Class Group Awards
Asset class group awards will be given to the best large and small groups separately. Large fund family groups with at least five equity, five bond or three mixed-asset portfolios in the respective asset classes are eligible for a group award. Small fund family groups will need to have at least three distinct portfolios in one of the asset classes – equity, bond or mixed-asset. The lowest average decile rank of the three years’ Consistent Return measure of the eligible funds per asset class and group will determine the asset class group award winner over the three-year period. In cases of identical results, the lower average percentile rank will determine the winner.
Overall Group Award
An overall group award will be given to the best large and small group separately. Large fund family groups with at least five equity, five bond and three mixed-asset portfolios are eligible for an overall group award. Small fund family groups will need to have at least three equity, three bond and three mixed-asset portfolios. An overall group award will be given to the group with the lowest average decile ranking of its respective asset class results based on the methodology described above. In cases of identical results, the lower average percentile rank will determine the winner. No asset class and/or overall group awards are handed out if there are less than three competing companies.
Asset class and overall group awards are given to the company that is responsible for establishing the fund by appointing the fund management company, and promoting and/or distributing the fund, the brand of the fund and the product range. This company, is also referred to as promoter or sponsor company.
Assets-Under-Management Breakpoint Calculation
- Europe: In order to define the breakpoint between large and small companies, Refinitiv Lipper will calculate the sum of the single fund sizes of all funds (excluding closed-end funds) with sales permission in any European country per company and then sort the results in descending order. For each company a percentage share value of the total assets under management will be calculated and accumulated to 100 percent. The assets-under-management breakpoint is found at 85 percent accumulated weight value.
- United States: All eligible open-end funds (see Specific Methodology Issues for the U.S.) with sales permission in the United States will be considered. The assets-under-management breakpoint is found at 85 percent accumulated weight value.
Trophies and Certificates
Winning funds over three years within the 20 largest classifications per award universe according to assets under management will be awarded a trophy. Where appropriate, only funds domiciled in the respective country will be taken into consideration for determining the largest classifications. All winning groups will be awarded a trophy as well. The methodology for awarding trophies in regions is subject to change based on local market needs. However, all winners will receive a certificate, which can be downloaded by entering a fund name on the regional awards page.
- Event: Refinitiv Lipper Fund Awards 2020 & Country.
- Fund Awards: Refinitiv Lipper Fund Awards 2020 Winner & Country & Fund Name, Best Fund Over Past & Period & Years,
- Group Awards: Refinitiv Lipper Fund Awards 2020 Winner & Country & Group Name, Best Group Over Past Three Years,
& Asset Class & Size.
Note: For regions where Lipper does not make a distinction between large and small group awards because of the small market size, no reference to “size” in naming required.
You will be able to search for winners on the regional award pages. No raw data of the calculations will be published. No correspondence will be entered into.
Specific Market and/or Legal Requirements
Amendments to the methodology can be implemented according to specific market and/or legal requirements, such as extended registration for sale, classification, limited duration of the funds, or other inclusion or exclusion criteria.